Author Topic: New licensing mechanism for Piv 5.9  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Dean Wooldridge, Jr.

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New licensing mechanism for Piv 5.9
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:45:47 AM »
Anyone try this new license mechanism for Piv 5.9 that Pivotal announced in the last 30 days?

Offline evanveenhuizen

• View Profile
Re: New licensing mechanism for Piv 5.9
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
We are experimenting with it in our Development System.

Generally it works great.
Even side by side with the old license mechanism, to support both old windows clients and the new service pack windows clients.

We did however experience a connection problem concerning the new mechanism causing all the windows clients (old and new) and the LifeCycle Server to stop working due to a connection problem with the database.
This situation apparently does not repair itself when the connection is back again.

This situation occurred overnight and twice in 5 days.
The only way to get everything working again was a reboot of the webserver (the first incident) or a restart of the ANM (the second incident).

I have created a support incident at Pivotal, but so far I received no usable information from Pivotal to prevent this from happening.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:49:06 AM by evanveenhuizen »

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »
Ah, interesting.  I have had the same problem for the last two days running.  system is running nice when I call it quits for the night and next morning the users cannot get in.  it looks like Windows access and Active access both will not work.  this morning i fired up the administration console and it too a looooooooog time to display the list of users with their assigned licenses.  usually that is very quick but this morning while everything was stuck this took 3 to 5 times longer.

i rebooted and i guess that is what got things started again.

there are some options in IIS for doing a shutdown of worker processes after being idle for x minutes.  i have always had this set to TRUE and after 20 minutes.  just wondering if that might contribute to the situation.  I too kicked in an SI and have been forwarding the application event logs but nothing back from pivotal yet.

this has been messy alll the way around - not such a good idea.  you are testing on development so you haven't hit the problem with mobile licenses yet - do you have mobile licenses?

Offline evanveenhuizen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
Glad to hear there is someone else having the same problem.
Now I know that it is not something specific to our implementation or network or database or whatever, but really a problem in the latest service packs.

We have no mobile licenses, so that's not giving any problems here.

The problem appears to be caused by a temporary loss of database connection.

Message in the eventlog:
    Timeout expired
    ====================
    Timeout expired
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server====================

HRESULT = 80040E31 -- Unknown error
    Function = CRSystemBase::GetInUseLicenseCount.
    Occurred in RSysBase.cpp on line 823.

Apparently there is no autofix / autoretry when the connection is back and that is blocking all login attempts.

I don't think this has something to do with IIS settings, personally I think the problem lies in the Active Notification Manager service ("NServerC.exe"), because a restart of this service fixes the situation.
Please let me know if this also fixes the problem at your system when it occurs again.

Offline DanClarke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
We have upgraded to the new licensing mechanism. That involved applying WC59 SP4, upgrading to PSS 6.0 SP8 and PBS 5.9 SP5. We tested this in our staging environment and did not encounter any problems; however since going live we have major performance issues.

Periodically a client session will get an ODBC error - most commonly 'Connection is Busy with results for another hstmt', but sometimes 'Associated statement is not prepared', 'Protocol error in TDS stream' or 'Transaction (Process ID nnn) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim'. If they press 'No' at the prompt they immediately see another prompt saying 'you no longer possess a License'. Pressing OK on that prompt clears the issue and they can continue working.

The problem is that when a user gets one of these prompts it causes a SQL process block. Any user blocked by this sees their Pivotal client freeze. If the ODBC error isn't cleared the blocked processes back up until all users are locked. We have had to implement a monitoring script which notifies us of the blocks, so we can contact the user or kill their session.

We're seeing this issue most days. We haven't been able to detect any pattern to it; it doesn't relate to a specific table, piece of code or function. The frequency of occurrence varies seemingly randomly, and doesn't seem to relate to load. We've been working with CDC on this. They have supplied us an R&D patch which stopped the 'you no longer have a license' message, but didn't alter the ODBC errors.

Our suspicion is that this is related to the new licensing model; specifically with how the client is checking for a valid license. CDC have not confirmed this. They have said the problem is affecting two other customers, and that it seems to affect sites with 'a large number of Windows Client users and a lot of agents'. That's certainly us.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? If so have you worked out what's causing it, or any way to avoid or minimise the problem?

Thanks,

Dan Clarke.

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
We were affected by the new licensing mechanism.  Our issue was that a Windows Client Pivotal Agent was running and at the top of the hour the licensing software would do license checks.  The license check software would steal the channel that the Agen had to the database and when the agent data came back to the license software it got confused and shut users off.  At least that is my understanding of what was going on.  Look to see if anything special seems to happen at the top of the hour.

We have updated to all the latest hot fixes and service packs and our problem has gone away.  But to be honest we no longer use that Pivotal Agent and we rarely have any other Windows Client users.  We also have not experienced any performance issues other than better performance with this license manager over the earlier one.