Author Topic: eRem hangs  (Read 1328 times)

Offline aab

• View Profile
eRem hangs
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
When I try to launch eRem, it just hangs without loading any system definitions.  I have to kill the process using Task Manager.  The DSM is running as it should be.  Any ideas about what could be causing this?  I can't do anything (i.e. backup, restore, UFO) because eRem won't respond.  This happens periodically.  One day it will load and work correctly, another it will hang on opening.

Offline crmpimp

• View Profile
Re: eRem hangs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:22 AM »
eREM usually hangs if the DSM is actively doing something. This happens because the DSM is a single threaded process and can only do one thing at a time; if the DSM is processing outbound ANMstore messages or inbound synchronization messages, then getting eREM to respond can sometimes be a bit 'hit and miss', especially if there is a backlog, or there are large ANMstore messages that are being processed.
Pivotal added some 'step outs' to their DSM code a long time back (around the P5.1 or P5.7 days, I think) so that the DSM will occassionally pause its processing to see if there are any commands coming via eREM that need to be addressed, but this 'step out' only happens every 5-10 minutes.
Regardless, if you leave it long enough, it should come back to you....